Tekes: EU should develop scalable business driven solutions for missions and societal challenges
Tekes has just published its position paper regarding the next EU framework programme for research and innovation, the FP9. Tekes sees that the FP9 must strike a right balance between research and innovation. While research excellence is vital, it is also important to promote cooperation between industry and academia because companies help ideas to become economically and socially impactful.
The identified main weakness of Europe in the field of research and innovation is the inadequate performance of getting excellent research results into the market. Therefore, it is important to develop scalable business driven solutions for missions and societal challenges. We also need new types of cooperation for solving societal challenges and for scaling up those SMEs that have the greatest potential on global markets. Europe needs to invest seriously in its future. To this end, the total size of the next EU framework programme for research and innovation should increase to at least 120 billion euros. Tekes sees that at least two thirds of the funding should be directed to innovation activities.
Tekes’ position on the FP9 focuses on:
- The role of the European Innovation Council (EIC)
- Missions and societal challenges
- The pillar structure and some general issues.
Tekes sees as main priorities for the FP9:
- Defining EIC’s role as a European accelerator for the most promising enterprises
- Developing scalable business driven solutions for missions and societal challenges
- Involving both large and small companies in research and innovation cooperation
- Total size of the FP9 should be at least 120 billion euros, two thirds of which should go to innovation activities.
Finnish Liaison Office for EU R&I
tel. + 32 477 937 868
matti.hiltunen (at) tekes.fi
Director, International Network
tel. + 358 2950 55813
eero.silvennoinen (at) tekes.fi